| EFFICIENCIES IN ELECTRICITY DRIVEN ECONOMY
We have lived on this planet for nearly a century with the concept that electricity is the ultimate solution and it was .
It is convenient to use and easy to distribute .Electric wires can carry energy for very long distances and at the lowest possible cost
but since then we have added some other sources of energy supply through piping and cabling .
Gas pipes - telephone lines - fresh water pipes - flushing sea water - sewage pipes .
0) POWER PLANT (burning gas or coal ) ===> electricity = approx 35 (normal plants) to 50 (with co generation) % efficiency ..
Efficiency is the difference between the energetic power of the primary source (gas) and the potential energy available produced after transformation .
00) If we calculate from the extraction site (gas or coal ) adding the cost of treatment ,conditioning ,transportation ,storage .
The efficiency drops from 35-50 % to approx 10 % .( Just to liquefy natural gas it takes 30% of the energy that the gas contains) .
1) Any electrical Motor ( drilling machine - fan - electric car -compressor ): approx 40 to 50 % efficiency .
2) Device using electrical resistor to produce heat : oven ,water heater , rice cooker : approx 50 to 70 % efficiency .
3) Device using electrical resistor to produce light (lamp ,light bulb ) : approx 10 % efficiency .
4) Device using compressed gas to produce positive or negative calories (heat exchanger inside an air conditioner or fridge ) about 30 to 50 % efficiency .
We have therefore an average of efficiency
starting from a power plant :
0 + 1 = 19 % for a motor
0 + 2 = 25 % for a heater
0 + 3 = 4 % for a light
0 + 1 + 4 = 8 % for an air con
PARALLEL : price of energy from extraction to consumer goes from 0.3 US$ for 1MMBTU to 13 US$ of equivalent electric .(45 times )
in the same times we have lost on the way 95 to 99 % of the needed energy
|Renewable energies Wave energy Wind energy Solar energy